Saturday, March 14, 2015

Goodbye Fred

I've had chickens for pets for the past 17 years.
Every three years or so I would order baby chicks from a mail order company, picking out certain breeds that had the qualities that interested me, such as pretty feathers, a friendly disposition or for their egg color.

I would always order female because I only wanted the eggs.  No roosters please, but low and behold, you always get a rooster or two in each order.
So last year I ordered a rooster the same breed as my Favorite hens ( the kind that lay the green eggs) thinking that I would raise some new birds instead ordering.
 
  Well my rooster was beautiful. He was white and black with a red comb and waddle.
He was big and strong and I named him Fred. He also pecked the feathers out of my hens  backs so bad that I felt sorry for the ladies. So last night we had Fred and dumplings for supper.    
GOODBYE FRED

No comments:

Post a Comment